These chocolate chunk coffee cookies are loaded with chocolate chunks and disks. To make the cookies even more irresistible I added some instant coffee to the dough to really enhance the chocolate flavor.
I’ve tried many chocolate chip cookie recipes. It wasn’t until I created my bakery style chocolate chip cookies, that I actually even liked chocolate chip cookies. I’ve always been a picky eater. My mom doesn’t really eat too many things so I’m thinking my pickiness came from her. I’m working on it though, promise. Anyway… since I had a bunch of instant coffee hanging around the house for Sweet as a Cookie‘s coffee week I thought I would try to come up with some coffee recipes over here too.
By adding the coffee granules to the dough you’re creating little pockets of coffee heaven. The flavor is subtle so if you don’t like coffee don’t worry. The coffee really just enhances all of the other flavors in the cookie.
These cookies are best served with a big glass of milk and an empty stomach. You’ll just have to trust me on the empty stomach part. I made these cookies about 6 times in the last month. I was trying to see if it were possible to make these cookies without chilled dough but it’s just doesn’t work. When you don’t chill the dough the cookies spread and lose color during the baking process. When you chill the dough the flavors get time to marinade the dough and create the most perfect cookie once baked.
Even though you do have to chill the dough, these cookies are worth the wait. I don’t want to encourage you to eat the raw dough but if you took a little bite I wouldn’t tell anyone. This recipe makes the most wonderful raw cookie dough. If my boyfriend weren’t around to talk some sense into me I probably wouldn’t even bother to bake the cookies.
I like to call these my secret ingredient chocolate chip cookies. Everyone thinks they taste so good but they always ask what you added to the dough. I like to keep it my little secret. If they want to know the secret, they can read my blog.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 heaping teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 oz. chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 4 oz. dark chocolate candy melts
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream together the butter and sugars.
- Once the mixture is nice and fluffy beat in the egg, instant coffee, and vanilla extract.
- Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the baking soda and salt.
- Carefully mix in the flour, stop when it's just barely combined.
- Add in the chopped chocolate and candy melts and mix until the cookie dough ingredients are just combined.
- Remove dough from bowl and cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Form 36 dough balls (about a heaping tablespoon in size) and place them 2-3 inches apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes or until the outsides are nice and brown.
- Allow cookies to slightly cool on baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack.