Simple and flavorful pizza meatballs. you’ll love this easy recipe!
Meatballs packed with that cheese pizza flavor! Serve them with pasta or on rolls for a complete meal!
Growing up I don’t think I ever even ate a meatball. I also never had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as a child. I may have been a little deprived of the good stuff y’all! But all that deprivation led me to the kitchen where I soon fell in love to cook and for that I am thankful.
Easy pizza meatball recipe
I don’t know about you, but I kind of like the meatball making process. Like bread making and kneading dough, there’s just something so relaxing about rolling meatballs. If you use a cookie scoop for your meatballs they’ll all be uniform and cook evenly.
When you simmer the meatballs in the pasta sauce they get even more juicy and tender. Although that step is optional I highly recommend giving it a try. If you top with cheese and put under them under your broiler I highly recommend setting a timer for a minute or two. We don’t want all your hard work to go to waste!
How to make skillet meatballs
Don’t let meatballs intimidate you. They’re actually a lot simpler to make than you would think. Using your hangs during the mixing process ensures that your mixture will be evenly combined and not overworked, which would make a tough meatball.
If you hate touching meat you can wear kitchen food safe gloves during the rolling process. If you don’t want the meat mixture to stick to your hands when rolling, simply coat your hands with oil.
The finishing touch is the pasta sauce. Use a high quality pasta sauce for this recipe so your meatball flavor doesn’t get lost. I have an amazing, easy pasta sauce recipe that I’ll be sharing with y’all very soon.
What to serve with pizza meatballs
Serve pizza meatballs over pasta, on soft baked rolls, garlic bread, or even rice.
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp basil
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper diced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese diced
- 1 ½ cups garlic and herb bread crumbs
- pasta sauce optional
- rolls optional
- additional mozzarella cheese. optional
- In a large bowl combine ground meat, egg, milk, salt, basil, and black pepper. Mix until just combined.
- Add in the onion, green pepper, and cheese. Combine until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Little by little add in the bread crumbs. Using your hands work the bread crumbs into the meat until evenly incorporated.
- Form 22-24 meatballs out of the meat mixture.
- Cook in a greased skillet over medium heat until meatballs are cooked through. Add in pasta sauce, cover with lid, and warm.
- Top with cheese and place under broiler until melted.
- Serve on rolls or with pasta.